CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 28, 2008

Monday Morning

Monday morning and I am home sick...again...but with the company of my children...sick as well. I am doing some better, but my youngest was running a slight fever and I just didn't feel right about leaving her at home all day while I was at work. Probably need another day myself to get over this a little more. The wind is blowing...again...fourth straight day...or so. This part of the country cannot handle the wind well, things are getting blown over all over town. Branches broken off, utility poles knocked over, whole trees uprooted. It is actually kind of erie the way it has finally died down this morning. But, yesterday, it was full force and I tried to just stay in and rest. Ended up having to get out and go to Walmart though. Was out of toilet paper and Kleenex, two essentials if there ever was one. And of course, while there I had to pick up a couple of things in the craft department.

I want to make my grandson a crocheted afghan, John Deere colors you know, so was looking over the choices. I was thinking I would just buy some one pounders, checked the selection, not really the green I want, but would work. Price was $5.88, okay so I know that JoAnn's has them for $5, figure I will save a little and just get it there. Got home only to find that the sale price ended on Sat. GO FIGURE. Oh well, after thinking about it, if I can just find the box of yarn I put "where it would be safe and out of the way" I know I have lots of black and yellow, just need the green. Already know what pattern I will use as well. Now, if I could just find that box of yarn. Oh well, you all know how that goes. Funny thing, I picked up some green crochet thread, to use for my "Green Garden" round robin project. I know, that is a crazy quilt project, but can added crocheted items, if they are green. As I look at it I think, I have some of this, just saw it. In the box of yarn under DD's bed. So I didn't buy it, got home, went right to the box, right to the same green thread, simple. Except that it is a sage or pea green, was actually meant to make a table cloth. LIKE A TWO OUNCE BALL OF SIZE 10 THREAD WILL MAKE AN ENTIRE TABLECLOTH? Barbie size maybe. Oops, was supposed to say 11 1/2 inch fashion doll size.

Let me tell you, after spending some time working on crochet projects yesterday, I do not like thread. I joined a crocheted bookmark exchange, piece of cake so I thought. Went on the trusty Internet, went to
Crochet Pattern Central and then went to the directory and straight to the listing of bookmarks. This is the third Butterfly Bookmark.
The first one , the one on the left, came out okay, but not great. I always make one first to see how it will come out first. My personal view on swaps, exchanges, round robins, and other type work is simple, "only offer up work that I would appreciate getting in return" and so I usually end up with a few realizations that would not have come to light other wise. This particular project brought about an insight for my feeble little mind. I AM DUMB WHEN IT COMES TO CROCHET. I had no idea, still don't really, that there are different sizes of crochet thread. Not sure about this, but it seems that the larger the number, the smaller the thread. Or finer the thread. In other words, the size 5 thread is a little thicker than the size 10 thread. Same with the silver steel hooks as well. It would seem that a size 1 hook is a little fatter than a size 6 hook. So, not really thrilled with the first result, I choose a larger hook and made one again. Yes, I know, I forgot the little circle thing at the bottom of the second one. I have gained new insight to my abilities and comfort zone for crocheting. I do not like thread, do not like a hook smaller than a size 0. Lord, how I ever managed to make those collars and doll dresses, the table cloth I started and abandoned, I will never know. I went blurry eyed trying to find the stitch to crochet through.

Okay wise guy, go ahead and say it. I have bifocals, should probably wear them while working. I still say, give me a plain old worsted weight and a size K hook and just leave me be.

However, I am seriously rethinking this bookmark exchange. That being said, I choose to see the positive in most situations. I really liked the little butterfly as a motif, which brought to mind the crazy quilt "Green Garden" round robin I am participating in. I was hunting some buttons, in amongst the hundreds of plastic boxes of bits and pieces I have been hording for my married life, of which there are buttons that are from my aunt's collection that date back to the 20's, when a spool of Christmas green satin ribbon fell out. It was green, so set it aside. Well, one thing led to another, things went on, and eventually I hit upon the idea of using the ribbon to crochet with.

This is the result. I know this is not a "new" idea or technique, but I did think it up on my own, for which I am pretty pleased with myself over. It has the look I want for the project I am working on. Also opens up a few possibilities for further little projects. I used a size E crochet hook with 1/8 inch satin ribbon. Funny, when you get in to the hooks with a letter, the size gets larger as the letter/number gets larger. Go figure.



Along with the two bookmarks and ribbon butterfly, I also made a second potholder like the one I already made. Actually, this was bottom side to the top. I had posted earlier about making the potholder for an exchange, only to find out I had not made it thick enough. So, I learn, and started on a different pattern making the top, the bottom, then crocheted them together. Now I have a nice thick potholder, have even tried it out, that I am well pleased with and will be mailing it off tomorrow.


This pattern is called Pentagon Dishcloth and is available for free from
JPF Crochet Club which has many free patterns. They also have a pattern of the day that changes each day. This was one of those patterns that was free one day, so I saved it. Sorry, can't post the directions but there are a lot to choose from. I know it is a dishcloth pattern, but was told that it would be great for a potholder if made thicker.

It feels so good, have gotten hooked on using the cotton yarns. This is made using Sugar N Cream with an I hook. Since the finished item was supposed to be approximately 8 1/2 inches and this one is right at 8, guess I should have gone up to a J hook. Told you I crochet tightly, the pattern calls for a H hook. At any rate, I have been saving a bunch of dishcloth patterns as I hope to get involved in some of those type exchanges. They actually feel great to use and wash up great. This was done with ecru color, which reminds me of muslin.

I initially just bought 4 0z. skeins, but after working with it I went and bought a one pound cone of variegated. Just don't mention to my husband those 27 plastic tubs (sorted by color) of the huge cones of yarn I have that came with the knitting machine I was given. I love the idea of being able to make things with that machine, and she gave me all the bells and whistles to go along with it, but try as I might I have not been able to figure out how to take the project off the machine with out it raveling out. Also, I have no room to just leave it up either. When I had gotten it, I mistakenly thought that I would get oldest son's bedroom (built temporarily in the garage) for putting my sewing and crafting stuff in. Hubby decided he wanted his garage back, which I can't blame him, and then son moved back home (three times) so the knitting machine has sat idle. Now son is out for the final time and hubby has taken the walls down over the weekend. However, our youngest DS graduates in May, will be going off to college and in to the dorm. Hey as long as I leave his bed the rest of the room is fair game. SHHH, that is is a secret for now, although I suspect my hubby probably has already thought about that himself.

I have sent DS off to pick up some lunch for my DD and I. He is spending his day off from school by going to the thrift store to find things to use for his costume. He is in drama class. Now lunch is here, along with the cup from @#$*. Seems that the bottom of the plastic cup is bulged out so it has decided to act like a Weeble. Remember them? Weebles wobble but they don't fall down? Well they did and I don't trust this cup not to.

0 comments: