CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Musings About Crafting

I didn't think I could feel any worse, I WAS WRONG. Had no idea one person could blow their nose so many times, cough for so long at a time, but am finding it out quickly. Along with the typical body aches, chills then hot, and over all plain old bone tired feeling. No matter how sick I am, I am not the type of person that is able to sleep during the day and laying in the bed for too long makes my body hurt. Must be the fibro aspect of life. So, I am slow at it, but work on this or that any way.

Last night I worked all evening embellishing my first two Crazy quilt ATC projects. I spent more time trying to figure out what embroidery stitch to put where than I actually did sewing.

This is my first efforts at this type of project. I am pleased with the way they turned out. I will be working on some hearts today, a little larger space to work with. My little camera for some reason will not take good close up shots. Am pretty sure there is some setting I might could change, but have no clue what it would be. Now that the other computer is set up with a printer/scanner, I may try to scan them and see if I can get the little stitch detailing to show up any better. The top ATC has green grapes growing. The bottom ATC (not that it shows up in the photo) has some ripples in the pond.

Now, I guess I can see if anyone wants to trade with me. May need to work on my embroidery stitching a little more. I know I tried the bullion stitch on the bottom one. Do not like that stitch at all. But, there are a ton of them I can try on future projects. Speaking of which, learning stitches that is, ordered some new books and am looking forward to their arrival.

Speaking of learning stitches, I am a visual learner. In other words I have to be able to see it to do it. I am that way with sewing as well. I follow the drawings not the printing. With the Crazy quilting, like everything else I do, when I first thought I would take it up, I dove in head first. Buying all kinds of supplies, books and such, you know how it goes. Guess that is why I have a crochet hook holder that has every size hook there is.
I made this crocheted holder back in the early 80's when I thought I would be doing SO much crocheting. You know, remember the big crocheted collar craze? Every sweat shirt was worn with one, along with leg warmers off course. It was during this time that realized I crochet very tightly. My hubby's sweet grandmother was the one that explained this to me. Now that woman was crocheting dynamo. People would bring her a bag with skeins of yarn one evening, would pick up a beautiful completed afghan on their lunch break the next day. I would sit in awe and watch this woman in motion. So, I crocheted a southern belle style dress for my daughter's fashion doll (yeah Barbie, but that is a trademark and can't say it) which was absolutely gorgeous, but way to small. Could barely get it to close around the waist and only came just below the knees instead of floor length. Then when the crocheted collar I made for my mom barely fit my 5 year old daughter, I was determined to find out what I was doing wrong. Off to Granny I went with the two finished items, the patterns I used, the thread and hooks as well. Her first comment was "Lord child, how do you hold on to something so tight?" She then explained that I should use larger hooks than suggested, about three sizes. Like I said, that was the early 80's and after starting a table cloth, that is still around here somewhere because I never throw anything away, except the pattern because I was so frustrated, I gave crocheting up. Do I need every hook size there is? NO. Did I get every hook size there is? YES, because I may need it. Never mind that 95 percent of my crocheting is done with an I or J hook. So, two years ago when I was asked to crochet some helmet liners (aka beanies) out of black yarn, given a pattern and told how easy it was, I was pretty proud of myself that I actually was able to find my roll of hooks.

So, I made hats for the soldiers.
Lots of hats. 248 hats to be exact. They had to be black, military regulations and all, so I bought lots of black yarn. In fact, I had actually at one point, when I finished them all, decided I would never do anything using black yarn again as long as I live. Of course I have gotten over that, especially since I have not accumulated all these tid bits of colored yarn and have decided I need a granny square afghan. YES, you remember them, from maybe your grandmother's house? Each square is a different colored center with black around to finish it. I didn't have a grandmother to visit, but I had aunts. Both sides of the family each aunt had at least one, my mom still has hers. Hey it will be great to take camping for sitting around the fire. How did I end up with all those colors if I had quit crocheting you ask? Simple, when I got through with the black hats, I moved in to slipper mode. Lots, and lots of slippers.

All sizes, all colors. In fact, the last photo shows the pair I made that ended up being probably about the same as a man's shoe size 18. Well maybe not that big, but very big and when my adopted soldier said his bunk mate fit in them I found myself wondering what the bunk mate looked like. Okay you caught me, it is a by product of writing the romance novels, but hey, you know the saying, big feet and all? At any rate, the slippers were made with two strands of yarn, one variegated and one solid, so have all these colors left over.

But, I have strayed the path as I was explaining that when I start a hobby, a craft, a project, I dive in head first and full force. Crazy quilting was the same way. I had went to Amazon.com and purchased several books on the subject. My favorite book was this one.
An Encyclopedia of Crazy Quilt Stitches and Motifs. This is the best book. I liked it because it not only gave wonderful directions on how to make the stitches and variations of the stitches, it also showed them paired up or combined with other stitches.

Only problem, I cannot find that book. I know I had it camping, went out in the wind and dark of night to search the motor home with flashlight in hand. No luck. I remember having it and another book in a blue tote with all my embroidery supplies, remember that the books fell out of the tote, am afraid that hubby didn't realize what they were and threw them away when he cleaned out the back of the car where the tote had been. But, lucky for me, Amazon happened to have some used one listed for around $5-$6 so I have already ordered a replacement, just have to wait for it now. Can I help it if I found a few more? They were quite reasonable as well. At least that is what I will tell my hubby when he questions me about the Amazon charge to the checking account.

Guess that is about it for now. Need to go read my emails, take some more medicine, then work on something, anything, to get my mind off this "dirty word" flu slash cold.

1 comments:

Shirley said...

Hope you are feeling better. I had to thank you for the laugh I got while reading this. I appreciate your writing ability, funny, even between the hanky grabbing.
All those helmet liners. WTG. I wish I could do this.