CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Two Projects Ready To Go

I have two projects now ready to send on their way. I am so proud of myself that I am getting them done on time. That is going to be something I have to really watch, since it seems that I will only be able to work on things for the most part on week ends.

The first project is a crocheted pot holder. It is for an exchange on one of my Yahoo groups. I like the one on one exchanges, you have a little more time to work on it and don't feel so rushed. I took my cotton yarn and a set of hooks along with the pattern directions to work one day and crocheted over lunch. Didn't quite get finished, so finished it up at home. You can find the free pattern online at Lacy Honeycomb she has it available in a downloadle file along with a ton of free patterns.

I think it turned out pretty nice. Am looking forward to getting a name now to swap with. I love the look of crochet, but it takes me so long to make anything and I have to really concentrate on where I am. I like quilting much more, don't have to think as much with it. The machine does the stitching, it is the same stitching all the way through. But, there is something about the look of crochet that is just so warm, homey, it is just a really neat medium to work in. And now they have so many specialty yarns that have just awesome results. I have however come to the conclusion that I do not like plastic crochet hooks. That was all I had handy at the time, it was a set I actually bought for my eleven year old daughter, so that is what I took to work with me. I have since dug out my collection of aluminum or metal hooks for future use. NOW, I am not saying anything is wrong with the plastic ones, it is just that my personal choice is metal. I can remember my aunt using wooden ones, she would laugh at my metal ones and tell me that they were just a fad and wouldn't stay around long. I dearly wish that sweet aunt could see what I do now. She was so patient with me as she taught me to chain, then single crochet and double crochet. Told me that was all I needed to know to make anything I wanted. Of course I have taught myself a few more stitches, have a small library for reference, but she was actually pretty much correct in that statement. She never was successful in getting me to loosen my hold on the yarn, but hey, I know that I just have to go up about threes sizes in hooks to make the gauge come out.


Okay, while you chuckle at that, my next project ready to go out is a Crazy Quilt round robin block for another Yahoo group I am on. They are a great group at CQ For Newbies and so very helpful for people just starting out in the craft. I joined the Green Garden round robin. This exchange is a little bit different than the one on one type. I made a basic Crazy Quilt block, known to the group as a "nakkid" block.

Did I mention that it is being done in all green? All green fabric, trim, beads, thread, just all green. I will mail my block to the next name on the list and she will add some embellishment then send it to the next name. For this round robin, I will always send to the same person, will receive from the same person. The block travels around the group, then when it gets back home it is all dressed up. I will post the progress of it as it happens.

I am off now to move the laundry around and get started on a quilt project. I also have to take my son, 18, to the thrift shop so we can find clothing for a costume to wear in his school play. Will definitely take a photo of that.

0 comments: